Welcome to Cairo English School 2013-14
Dear Caregivers and students at CES,
It is with great pride I write to you as the Headmaster of Cairo English School (CES). This is my first year as Headmaster. If you are a parent of a CES student I am sure you have made the right decision in sending your child into our care. I especially welcome new families and students to the school and the new staff who have also arrived along with me for the academic year.
CES is a growing school with numbers increasing annually so that we now have over 1400 students enrolled. Early Years is nearly full as are many classes in Primary whilst Secondary is growing year by year. CES is a member of the ESOL family of schools. ESOL’s overarching vision is to provide outstanding education to students in international communities, instilling the knowledge, skills and character necessary for success in the 21st century. CES’s role is to build on the successes of previous years and to further embed these into the life of the school. ESOL, teaching staff and I know parents want to see our students to continue to enjoy school and excel to the best of their abilities through a love of learning, a love of school, a love of our school and its community. We are always working ‘towards achieving personal excellence’.
We will continue the successful programmes already put into place continuing to focus on:
- Reinforcing our strong stance with our Honour Code based on respect and honesty.
- Ensuring that students are given every opportunity to be working to personal bests. Developing goals, targets and action plans for every student where students are setting their own individual targets and are assisted by their teachers to achieve the very best possible results!
- At CES every opportunity is given to achieving personal excellence. At CES we will work at getting the best out of every student! I believe with careful nurturing that children can always achieve more than they actually think!
- CES wants our students to be the leaders of the 21st century whether for example in business, education, politics or medicine. CES strives to create as many leadership opportunities as possible and in doing so ensure our students have the capability to make a difference to not only the school community but also in Cairo, Egypt and the world!
- Ensuring that the very best expectations and standards of uniform are observed and that students wear their uniforms with pride and look neat and tidy.
- Engendering a sense of both school pride plus ensuring a positive climate of fun and learning through our House System. CES will continue to provide many fantastic opportunities for friendly yet competitive House events plus school teams and activities.
- CES will support and challenge our staff to exhibit excellence in learning and teaching in every class.
- Celebration of personal successes through Assemblies. CES actively recognises the successes of our students, groups and teams!
- The leadership team continue in being highly visible and taking an active interest in all that happens within the school.
- CES has a robust reporting format through an online parent portal. Parental communication in this regard will evaluate where the student sits according to National Curriculum levels and, through the Performance Graduation system, indicate the child’s work ethic, attitude and behaviour.
- CES will continue to develop close links with parents through the PTSA. A strong triangulation between school, parents and student assists the development of your child!
- Staff returning any contact made by parents/caregivers within 24 hours in an attempt to ensure that our parents/caregivers receive appropriate and timely responses.
CES is proud to be a ‘fully accredited International School’ as awarded by the Council of International Schools. After rigourous review of documentation and an intense week’s visit CIS accredited the school. The school was commended on its unique curriculum, the active development of the students that were seen to be articulate, confident and ambitious.
What can you do as a parent/guardian of a CES student to ensure your child’s education is a success?
Please take an active interest in your child’s education and schooling. Please get to know our teachers, communicate regularly and create a great working relationship! Do not wait until there are issues or problems, instead be proactive and discuss daily with your child what he/she is learning at school.
Please try to attend events, activities, meetings to support your child. Taking an active interest increases the strength of the triangle already mentioned!
Cairo English School is a fast paced, growing school that is recognised locally and internationally for its achievements.
I look forward to meeting you and any prospective parents wanting their child to join this thriving school!
Martyn R. Smith