CES is a provisional member of the Council of International Schools (CIS) and a full, regular member of the European Council of International Schools (ECIS). In 2009, the school applied for inclusion in the Accreditation process of CIS. A CIS joint membership and preliminary accreditation visit occurred in March 2010. The school is currently nearing the completion of the self-study of the 8th edition of COIS standards. We expect the visiting team to be present at the school in May 2013.
CIS (Council of International Schools)
CIS is a non-for-profit association of schools and post-secondary institutions working collaboratively for the continuous improvement of international education. Its regular members are well-established schools which meet the standards for membership.
CIS offers member schools in any location the opportunity to take part in a programme of evaluation and accreditation, using criteria that have been especially developed for international schools. Following a directed, comprehensive self-study, a visiting Team carries out a thorough and rigorous on-site evaluation. Schools that are found to meet the Standards for Accreditation are granted accredited status with the Council. Schools in the programme are subject to regular monitoring and must undergo a full re-evaluation every ten years. 283 member schools worldwide (20 in the Middle East and 3 in Egypt) had been awarded accredited status by the middle of 2009.
Its stated objectives are to work in partnership with its members by offering a comprehensive range of services. In keeping with the diversity of membership and the constant change associated with international education, these services are varied and include :
- The continuous improvement of schools through a process of accreditation.
- The provision of assistance in the selection and placement of teachers and administrators.
- The professional development of administrators and Board members.
- The provision of assistance with entry to higher education.
- The dissemination of information.
- The conduct and dissemination of research into effective practices in international education.
- The provision of guidance and support to communities wishing to establish new international schools.
- Collaboration with other organizations whose mission and philosophy are in harmony with those of the Council.
ECIS (European Council of International Schools)
The European Council of International Schools (ECIS) was founded in 1965 and is a not-for profit membership organization.
Its Mission Statement is “As an international school membership organization, the European Council of International Schools provides services to support professional development, curriculum and instruction, leadership and good governance in international schools located in Europe and around the world. ECIS creates opportunities for education and dialogue, encourages alliances with other organizations and acts as a catalyst for the advancement of international education.”